Saturday, March 28, 2009

Spring is here!














This was a fun weekend so far. Pete had his friends Neil, Scott, Joe, and John over to play Dungeons and Dragons. I can't say that I understand the fascination, but it's good enough to have brought Neil down here from near Stowe, VT twice in the past couple months, and they stayed up until 3am playing on Friday night. Go figure. It's nice....he gets a weekend with the guys, but I'm not totally abandoned. Wonder how late they'll stay up tonight...

While the guys were "geeking" (it's a verb, didn't you know?) I had some QT with the boys. Saturday morning we ate breakfast and played until Pete woke up at 9am. When Parker went down for a nap, Sam and I headed outside to do some yard work. Those little hands are very helpful in picking up wood. And, our yard has TONS of it. Between the old pine trees that drop lots of branches and the tree that fell and EXPLODED into a million branches, there are logs and twigs strewn all over our yard. So, we picked up and cut down and have a nice pile of small logs and kindling for next winter's fires. Then I set out to do a spring cleanup on the planting bed we have out on the front corner. Leaves, weeds, dead greens from last season all went into the compost heap. I now have not one but TWO large heaps going. Sam helped me water them and I can only hope that I actually see them steaming soon. I'd love to be able to dump some good compost into the garden before we put the veggies in. Underneath all the dead greens from last summer, there are some new buds coming through. Spring is officially here!!! If we get more snow, I'm going to be really pissed.


As for the seedlings, they're coming along. Sam and I go in there every day to see how many are sprouting. I use it as a chance to have him practice his numbers over 20. He skips 20, goes straight to 21 every time and really falters when we hit 30. The plants are up to 40 in number, and they have lots of growing to do, so I'm thinking that the kid will have mastered up to 50 before the plants go into the ground.


Speaking of vegetables, Pete and I have decided to join a local CSA this summer. While we will grow some vegetables of our own to eat, I don't have full confidence in our abilities since our garden was such a dud last year. I really like the idea of taking the boys to go to the farm to get some real food (NOT "dino nuggets") and they even have a few of the crops that are "u-pick" so we'll get to pick cherry tomatoes, beans, peas & raspberries as part of our share. Looking forward to it!

Pete and Sam took out a book on ice-cream at the library this week. It was a very loooooooooong book and had a lot of historical information on ice-cream (yawn) but when I read it to Sam last night, I told him that we could make ice cream today. So, I put the Cuisinart insert into the freezer, and sure enough, at lunch time today he remembered and asked if we could make it. I went with the easy "fudgsicle" recipe, which is 2 c. milk and 1 box chocolate pudding. I swear, Sam had his face in that machine the whole 15 minutes it was churning and asked every 2 minutes "is it done yet?" He thoroughly enjoyed the ice cream we made. He had a bowl after lunch. After we spend the rest of the afternoon out in the yard (we were out there for about 5 hours total) and got REALLY dirty (Sam was moving dirt with his trucks in the garden) we took a bath together in the big bathtub to scrub the dirt off. And, we ate the rest of the homemade ice cream in the tub. What a treat!



Wonder what tomorrow will hold...

No comments:

Post a Comment